"Because you can't hug a tree if you can't find one."

9/03/2007

What is Urban Botany?

This blog is named after my drawing project, in which I am redesigning the city so the built environment will be more in harmony with nature. It is an exercise in imaginary urban planning, because the developers don't actually ask locals what they want before tearing down perfectly good homes and covering every square foot with cement. So I decided to create examples of what thoughtfully planned neighborhoods might look like.

But it is hard to draw some of my ideas about the environment. And lately I have been thinking about other issues, like how media shapes consumer culture, and how consumerism impacts the environment. And I have been trying to go beyond the imaginary, and do something besides drawing. And I have been writing down my ideas. So here it is. Urban Botany.

No comments: