For the last few weeks we have been getting our seeds started indoors. I'd like to say I have been very scientific about it, and researched our last frost date to calculate the optimum timing for starting the seeds. But no, that's just not the way I do things. Since I am defining a successful garden as: at least one non-agribusiness salad more than I had last year, I am pretty confident about my chances.
So I began the Growing Challenge a few weeks ago by planting tomato seeds, because I knew where they were; added peppers when my Mom brought me some seeds from the garden center; and last weekend, planted the basil seeds I'd saved from last year (because I found them) and some beans that Mom had saved. (She looked for her seeds when I told her about the fabulous toilet paper roll seed pot idea.)
I'd like to say that all these seeds are for heirloom varieties, carefully selected for our growing zone, soil type and micro-climate. But in fact, they are all generic, chosen because they were available locally, which is important because I don't drive. Since the garden is limited to containers for the time being, I also didn't want to order specialty seeds, have them shipped from potentially far away, and then only use a small percentage of what comes in the package.
In fact, if the sprouts are successful, I will still have far more plants than I have space for. So I'll share some with Mom, help my sister and brother-in-law plant a garden at their new house, and maybe even have enough to encourage some friends and neighbors to garden. (And there is always the yard of the abandoned house next door, the playground down the street - note to self: research guerilla gardening techniques.) If I can manage to keep the seedlings alive for the next few weeks, maybe I can extend my gardening project beyond my own fence.